insider's guide for those who live in Napa Valley –
wish they did.
Oct. 20, 2014
the web portal to NapaLife,
which is emailed each Monday to
subscribers. It's usually 12 to 18 pages or more of scoops, news and
happening in Napa Valley.
Go to TravelTastes for
wine, food and travel writing outside Napa Valley by Paul Franson.
Use either a
Pal. I use the PayPal systems, but it also accepts credit cards without
joining. American Express cards sometimes don't work...
individual one-year subscription $50 per year
Renew individual subscription
for a year for $50
subscribe to NapaLife
or renew by sending a check to Paul Franson, 2035 Oak St.,
to include your
in Napa Valley
for details on future events
Future concerts and
- Oct. 24 NVOH Presents: Roy Rogers & The Delta Rhythm
Kings with Special Guest Carlos Reyes
- Oct. 25 Iris Dement
- Oct. 26 NVOH Presents: Perla Batalla
- Oct. 28 NVOH Presents: Tuesday Night Flicks: “Wait Until
- Oct. 29 Tinariwen
- Oct. 31 Dinner Music with Mads Tolling trio
- Oct. 31 Buffalo Party Presents: Prince vs. Michael
Halloween Extravaganza featuring 8th Grader
- Nov. 1 Dinner Music Series with Mads Tolling trio
- Nov. 1 The Mother Hips with The Harpoonist & The Axe
- Nov. 2 Harvest Luau Party with Judd Finkelstein and The
Maikai Gents 2-5pm on patio
- Nov. 2 NVOH presents Makana
- Nov. 5 Rusted Root
- Nov. 6 Drew Holc
- Nov. 7 Dinner Music with Mads Tolling Trio
- Nov. 7 Rhett Miller plus Salim Nourallahomb & The
Neighbors “Good Light Goes
- Nov. 8 Dinner Music with Mads Tolling Trio
- Nov. 8 Marcia Ball
- Nov. 9 NVOH Presents: Mariachi Divas 3 p.m.
- Nov. 9 Johnnyswim
- Nov. 10 Jeff Bridges with Jessie Bridges
- Nov. 11 The Psychedelic Furs and the Lemonheads
- Nov. 12-15 Napa Valley Film Festival
- Nov. 20 Songs & Stories - An Evening with Art Alexakis
- Nov. 21 JGB with Melvin Seals
- Nov. 22 Radney Foster
- Nov. 25 NVOH Present: Tuesday Night Flicks: “White
- Nov. 26 Robert Hunter
- Nov. 28 Robert Hunter
- Dec. 6 A John Waters Christmas
- Dec. 9 NVOH Presents: An Irish Christmas
- Dec. 12 Mike Birbiglia – Thank God For Jokes
- Dec. 14 NVOH Presents: The Return of “Chrismacabartnukkah!”
- Dec. 28 Blind Melon
- Dec. 31 Los Lobos
- Jan. 18 NVOH Presents: Capitol Steps
- Jan. 20 NVOH Presents Tuesday night flicks: “Foreign
- Feb. 6 Dengue Fever
- Feb. 8 Isa Live: A Vegan Life In Four Courses with Isa
- Feb. 24 NVOH Presents Tuesday night flicks: “A Night at the
- March 8 NVOH Presents: Hapa -
- March 24 NVOH Presents: Altan
- March 31 NVOH Presents Tuesday night flicks: “The Big
- April 24 Janis Ian and Tom Paxton
- April 26 NVOH and Terry Bradford Voice Studio Presents
"Glitz & Glam"
- April 28 NVOH Presents Tuesday night flicks: “The Band
- May 26 NVOH Presents Tuesday night flicks: “Love in the
- June 30 NVOH Presents Tuesday night flicks: “Witness for
- July 28 NVOH Presents Tuesday night flicks: “Double
- Aug. 25 NVOH Presents Tuesday night flicks: “North by
- Oct. 25 NVOH and Terry Bradford Voice Studio Presents
"Glitz & Glam"
Most events start at 8 p.m.
Buy concert tickets or get information on a becoming a
at 260-1600 or www.citywinery.com.
The Uptown Theatre is closed for shows until Nov. 1st, but the box
office remains open M-F 12pm-5pm and Sat. 12pm-4pm
Most shows are at 8 p.m.
- Nov. 9 Ziggy Marley
- Nov. 13 Napa Film Festival Gala
- Nov. 14 An evening with David Sedaris
- Nov. 15 Dana Carvey
- Nov. 16 Napa Film Festival Gala
- Dec. 12 Merle Haggard
- Dec. 13 Robert Cray
- Feb. 21 Crystal Bowersox
- March 13 The Fab Four Ultimate Beatles Tribute
The Uptown Theatre is at 1350 Third St. in
Napa. The box office phone is 259-0123 x 6 and website is
Performing Arts Center
at Lincoln Theate
- Fiestas Navideñas Dec. 6 7 p.m. Napa
- Amadeus Film and Merry Mozart Celebration Dec.
13 6 p.m.
- Sir Neville Marriner and Dmitry Sitkovetsky with
Symphony Napa Valley Dec. 14 3 p.m.
- Cirque Ziva Jan. 18 3 p.m.
- Valentine's Day Swing Dance Celebration Feb.
- Peter Coyote and Dmitry Sitkovetsky with Symphony
Napa Valley March 29 3 p.m.
Get information and tickets at
www.lincolntheater.org or 944-9900.
Napa Valley College
- Oct. 26 Masters Series Josh Di Chiacchio, guitar, at 3 p.m.
Loretta C. Silvagni Recital Hall
- Nov. 8-16 The Three Musketeers by Ken Ludwig in Main
Theater directed by Jennifer King
- Nov. 16 Masters Series Rick Shinozaki, violin at 3 p.m.
Loretta C. Silvagni Recital Hall
- Nov. 23 Harvest Of Music at 3 p.m. Main Theater
- Dec. 7 Tribute to Nelson Mandela and Maya Angelou: African
Sanctus by David Fanshawe at 3 p.m. Main Theater
- Dec. 12 Jazz Impressions at 8 p.m. Main Theater 8 p.m.
- Dec. 13 Voice Recital at 8 p.m. Main Theater 8 p.m.
- Dec. 14 Winds Extraordinaire Main Theater 3 p.m.
Visit www.musicnapavalley.org, www.napavalleytheater.org or
www.shakespearenapavalley.org or call 256-7500.
White Barn 2014 schedule
The popular April Sunday Salons will be held
p.m. with tickets to each performance at $30 to benefit Rianda House.
- Oct. 24, 25, 26: Broadway Musical.
Saturdays at 8 p.m. Sundays at 3 p.m. Tickets $35 to benefit the White
Barn children’s programs.
- Nov. 9: The Heath Family Saga, a one-man show with
Waterson. The Heath Family lived in a Victorian home on the property.
The carriage house (the White Barn) housed their carriages and horses.
3 p.m. Tickets are $30 and benefit the St. Helena Historical Society.
For more information or tickets, see
The White Barn is at 2727 Sulphur Springs Ave. in St.
Music on the Promenade
12 to 5 p.m. Oct. 25 Steel Jam
of Insider's Guide available
Though it's only been a year and a half, it was time to
bring the NapaLife Insider's Guide to
bring it up to date.
I've made hundreds of changes to add and delete
and other venues, and correct errors.
The price is only $19.99. You can
at Createspace, part of Amazon, or at Amazon,
but I get a better deal
The Kindle version is $9.99 at amazon.com.
It's a great gift for friends, colleagues and visitors.
want a bunch, as some realtors have found, it's an even better deal.
They give it to newcomers to the valley. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
and Misadventures in the Romantic Caribbean Sea
You may dream of buying a boat
and heading for the tropics, but you’d do well to read this book before
Author and sailor Paul Franson
loves the romantic islands of the
Caribbean Sea, but it’s not clear that those islands love him. He’s had
some of the best times in his life on the varied islands of the West
Indies, but he’s also had some experiences that he can be philosophical
about only decades later.
Formerly a writer and marketer in
Silicon Valley, Franson now lives
in Napa Valley, where he writes about wine, food, travel and the Wine
County lifestyle — and occasionally more far-reaching subjects.
He’s been to about two dozen
different Caribbean islands, and still wants to visit more — but not on
his own sailboat.
The 170-page book also contains
tales of sailing trips and other
visits to other islands, information about some popular sailing
destinations and a collection of recipes from the Caribbean.
Order a print version for $9.99
You can also buy it from Amazon,
which owns Createspace, but I get a smaller royalty from Amazon.
The Kindle version is $4.99 at www.amazon.com/dp/B00MGWSFC0.
You can buy copies from me while I arrange some retail
outlets. Email email@example.com.
Subscribe to NapaLife
2035 Oak St.
Napa, CA 94559
subscription ___ renewal ___
the Bottle Again updates seminal how-to book on wine
Paul Franson and
Harvey Posert have introduced Spinning
the Bottle Again: More strategies, tactics and case studies of
wine public relations, a heavily updated and revised version of
the seminal how-to book on wine public relations Spinning the Bottle.
Spinning the Bottle Again is a
collection of theory, practical information and case studies about
promoting wine, wineries and wine-related issues.
In all, almost 50
experts tell how tell how to conduct effective public relations
campaigns with examples of their programs what they accomplished.
The studies were
collected by PR experts Harvey Posert and Paul Franson, who both live
in Napa Valley. Each also contributed chapters to the mix.
Posert was the
long-time head of public relations for renowned Robert Mondavi Winery
as well as the Wine Institute. He also worked in general public
relations and spent time as a daily newspaper reporter.
Franson has extensive
experience in corporate and agency public relations as well as business
reporting and editing. He founded one of Silicon Valley’s largest
public relations firms. For the last 16 years, he has specializing in
writing about wine and related subjects.
The book is must
reading for anyone involved in managing a winery or marketing wine.
It's relevant to the student of wine and marketing, the seasoned exec
or owner, and a source of ideas for PR pros.
Both print and
electronic versions are available.
The print version is
$19.95 from Createspace, part of Amazon, at www.createspace.com/3794516.
The Kindle version is
$9.99 from Amazon.com.
A pdf version is $9.99
The original Spinning
the Bottle is available for $20.
Visit www.spinningthebottle.com for
more information or contact Paul Franson at firstname.lastname@example.org or