insider's guide for those who live in Napa Valley –
wish they did.
July 28, 2014
the web portal to NapaLife,
which is emailed each Monday to
subscribers. It's usually 12 to 18 pages or more of scoops, news and
happening in Napa Valley.
Go to TravelTastes for
wine, food and travel writing outside Napa Valley by Paul Franson.
Use either a
Pal. I use the PayPal systems, but it also accepts credit cards without
joining. American Express cards sometimes don't work...
individual one-year subscription $50 per year
Renew individual subscription
for a year for $50
subscribe to NapaLife
or renew by sending a check to Paul Franson, 2035 Oak St.,
to include your
New edition of
Insider's Guide available
Though it's only been a year and a half, it was time to
bring the NapaLife Insider's Guide to
bring it up to date.
I've made hundreds of changes to add and delete
and other venues, and correct errors.
The price dropped, too: It's now only $19.99. You can
at Createspace, part of Amazon, or at Amazon,
but I get a better deal
The Kindle version is $9.99 at amazon.com.
It will soon be available at local outlets.
The current version is 99 percent correct, of course,
have a limited number of copies available for $10 including sales tax
and shipping (perhaps delivery locally!) Visit special offer.
It's a great gift for friends, colleagues and visitors.
want a bunch, as some realtors have found, it's an even better deal.
They give it to newcomers to the valley. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Music in Napa Valley
for details on future events
Upcoming shows at City Winery
- NVOH Presents, Tuesday Night Flicks: The Women July 29
- David Grisman, July 31
- Chris Smithers Aug. 1
- Matt Costa Aug. 2
- Rick Stevens with Love Power Aug. 3
- New Monsoon Aug. 7
- An Evening with Lamborn Family Vineyards Aug. 8
- Inside Lands DJ Party Aug. 8
- Dan Hicks Aug. 9
- NVOH presents the San Francisco Opera Adler Fellows
- Berlin with Sad Robot Aug. 13
- San Geronimo and Bobby Bare Jr Aug. 14
- Bettye Lavette, Aug. 16
- Lila Downs Aug. 17 5 and 8 p.m.
- Ottmar Liebert Aug. 21
- Sonny Landreth Aug. 22
- Patrizio Aug. 23
- NVOH and Lucky Penny present Sunday Songbook Series
- Men Without Hats Aug. 25
- NVOH presents To
Catch a Thief Aug. 26
- An Evening with The Company Men Aug. 27
- David Grisman Aug. 28
- The California Honeydrops Aug. 29
- Marshall Crenshaw and the
Bottle Rockets Aug. 30
- Sean Hayes Sept. 6
- NVON pfresents George Komsky Sept. 7
- Sierra Leone's Refugee All Stars Sept. 8
- NVOH and Lucky Penny Present "I'm the Greatest Future
Musical Theatre Competition for Kids Sept. 21
- Macy Gray Sepy. 18
- NVOH presents Beoga Sept. 23
- Steve Nieve Plays Elvis Costello with special guest
Tall Ulysse Sept. 24
- David Grisman Sept. 25
- Justin Nozuka Sept. 26
- Raul Midon with Gabby Moreno Sept. 29
- NVOH presents Sunset
Boulevard Sept. 30
- Leo Kottke Oct. 2
- Ralph Stanley Oct. 3
- Gary Wright Oct. 4
- Justin Townes Earle Oct. 5
- Jason Isbell with Amanda Shires Oct. 6
- Carbon Leaf Oct. 8
- Storm Lange Oct. 9
- Tom Rush Oct. 10
- NVOH Presents: Will Durst from LSD to OMG! Oct. 14
- Loudon Wainwright III Oct. 18
- NVOH and Lucky Penny presents: The Dynamic Duet! Oct.
- NVOH present Roy Rogers and the Delta Rhythm Kings
- Iris Dement Oct. 25
- NVOH presents: Perla Batalla Oct. 26
- NVOH presents Wait
Until Dark Oct. 28
- Tinariwen Oct. 29
- NVOH presents: Makana Nov. 2
- Marcia Ball - 11/8
- NVOH Presents: Mariachi Divas Nov. 9
- The Psychedelic Furs and the
Lemonheads Nov. 11
- Sinead O’Connor I’m not bossy, I’m the boss Nov. 20
- NVOH presents White
Christmas Nov. 25
- A John Waters Christmas Meet & Greet Dec. 6 at 8
and 10 p.m.
- NVOH presents: An Irish Christmas Dec. 9
- Mike Birbiglia - Thank God For Jokes. Dec. 12
- NVOH and Lucky Penny presents: The return of
“ChrismaCabaretNukkah! Dec. 14
- NVOH Presents: Hapa March 8
- NVOH Presents: Altan March 24
Most events start at 8 p.m.
Buy concert tickets or get information on a becoming a
at 260-1600 or www.citywinery.com.
Here’s the upcoming schedule at Uptown Theatre:
- Aug. 1 Lisa Lampanelli The Leaner Meaner Tour
- Aug. 8 Chris Isaak
- Aug. 15 Built to Spill with Slam Dunk + The Warm Hair
- Aug. 22 Marshall Tucker Band with Moonalice
- Aug. 23 The Dan Band with the Iron Heart
- Sept. 26 Dana Carvey
- Sept. 27 Dave Mason’s Traffic Jam
- Oct. 11 Dark Star Orchestra
- Oct. 25 Lee Ann Womack
- Nov. 9 Ziggy Marley
- Nov. 14 An evening with David Sedaris
Most shows are at 8 p.m.
The Uptown Theatre is at 1350 Third St. in
Napa. The box office phone is 259-0123 x 6 and website is
Performing Arts Center
at Lincoln Theate
- Jerry Jeff Walker Aug. 16 7 p.m.
- Mindful Celebration...A Day of Awareness in Napa
Valley Oct. 4 9:30 a.m.
- Fiestas Navideñas Dec. 6 7 p.m. Napa
- Amadeus Film and Merry Mozart Celebration Dec.
13 6 p.m.
- Sir Neville Marriner and Dmitry Sitkovetsky with
Symphony Napa Valley Dec. 14 3 p.m.
- Cirque Ziva Jan. 18 3 p.m.
- Valentine's Day Swing Dance Celebration Feb. 14
- Peter Coyote and Dmitry Sitkovetsky with Symphony
Napa Valley March 29 3 p.m.
Get information and tickets at
www.lincolntheater.org or 944-9900.
Napa Valley College
See napavalleytheater.org and
White Barn 2014 schedule
The popular April Sunday Salons will be held
p.m. with tickets to each performance at $30 to benefit Rianda House.
- Sept. 6: Tom Montgomery and Montango outdoor concert.
Tangos from Argentina, tango dancers. A benefit for Connolly Ranch.
- Oct. 17, 18, 19, 24, 25, 26: Broadway Musical. Friday
Saturdays at 8 p.m. Sundays at 3 p.m. Tickets $35 to benefit the White
Barn children’s programs.
- Nov. 9: The Heath Family Saga, a one-man show with
Waterson. The Heath Family lived in a Victorian home on the property.
The carriage house (the White Barn) housed their carriages and horses.
3 p.m. Tickets are $30 and benefit the St. Helena Historical Society.
For more information or tickets, see
The White Barn is at 2727 Sulphur Springs Ave. in St.
Long Meadow Ranch
Summer Concert Series
Aug. 3 - Goodnight, Texas
Aug. 24 - The Brothers Comatose
Sept. 14 - The Mother Hips
Get details and tickets at www.longmeadowranch.com.
Compadres summer music
The Compadres summer music
series continues every Sunday through Labor Day weekend.
Here is the schedule for August:
- Aug. 3 - The Greg Richmond Band, featuring Ed Early
- Aug. 10 - The Davies-Dukes Band
- Aug. 17 - Double Shot
- Aug. 24 - Sweet Burgundy
- Aug. 31 - The Greg Richmond Band, featuring Ed Early
Music at Goose &
• Aug. 3 Pion 2 Zion
Goose & Gander has live music outside in the garden every Sunday
from 1 to 4 p.m.
They serve cocktails and a full menu of food with no cover charge.
• Aug. 10 Groove Session
• Aug. 17 Marty O’Reilly
• Aug. 24 Scott Pemberton
• Aug. 31 Mark Sexton Band
Goose & Gander is at 1245 Spring St. in St. Helena.
www.goosegander.com or call 967-8779.
Calistoga Concerts in the Park
Calistoga Concerts in the Park are held at Pioneer Park
Thursday nights from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Here’s the line-up:
- July 31 Keyser Soze reggae/ska/soul band
- Aug. 7 National Park Radio modern folk band
- Aug. 14 Kerouac Dirty R&B
- Aug. 21 Wild Catahoulas Cajun/ Zydeco band
- Aug. 28 Allways Elvis Band
Napa City Nights at
- Aug. 1 Five AM, Whitney Nichole and Staci Frenes
- Aug. 8 Harvey and the Wallbangers, Pion 2 Zion and
- Trevor Lyon
- Aug. 15 (No Show)
- Aug. 22 Twice as Good, The Pat Jordan Band and
Kristen Van Dyke
- Aug. 29 Purple Haze- Jimi Hendrix Tribute, 37th
Parallel and Rob Sherman
Musical picnics in Lyman Park
St. Helena Chamber of Commerce presents a free summer
series every other Thursday from 6 to 8 p.m. in Lyman Park.
This popular community event captures the charm that is
Helena. Bring your picnic basket and blanket, but get to Lyman Park
early. This popular concert series packs in the crowd.
Lineup for 2014 St. Helena Park Summer Concert Series:
• Aug. 7 – Tiki Lounge Lizards
• Aug. 21 – Todd Haaby & Friends
Jessup Cellars “Art
House Sessions” musical series
All on Saturdays:
• August 9 Jesse Thomas
• August 23 Holly Conlan
• Sept. 13 Chris Laterzo
Call (888) 537-7879 or email email@example.com.
Jessup Cellars is at 6740 Washington St. in Yountville.
Music on the Promenade
Saturday and Sunday 12 to 5 p.m. through October
- Aug. 2 Steel Jam
- Aug. 3 Jazz Mirage
- Aug. 10 Sweet Burgundy
- Aug. 17 Trio Solea
- Aug. 23 Jazz Mirage
- Aug. 30 Steel Jam
- Sept. 6 Steel Jam
- Sept. 7 Jazz Mirage
- Sept. 14 Trio Solea
- Sept. 21 Jazz Mirage
- Sept. 27 Steel Jam
- Sept. 28 Sweet Burgundy
- Oct. 4 Steel Jam
- Oct. 5 Jazz Mirage
- Oct. 18 Jazz Mirage
- Oct. 25 Steel Jam
following locations carry copies of the NapaLife Insider's Guide to
Amelia’s Gifts at Napa River Inn
Back Room Wines
Black Stallion Winery
Grand Hand Gallery
La Residence Inn
Milliken Creek Inn
Napa General Store
Tourist Information Center
Visit Napa Valley Welcome Center
West End Napa
Wine Train Depot
- Villagio Inn at Vintage Estates
- Yountville Welcome Center
Rutherford and Oakville
Auberge du Soleil
Alpha Omega Winery
Robert Mondavi Winery
- Rutherford Grove Winery
St. Supéry Vineyard
- Domaine Charbay Winery
- Charles Krug Winery
- Spice Islands Marketplace at the
- Harvest Inn
- Meadowood Resort
- Napa Valley Olive Oil Co.
- St. Helena Visitors’ Center
- Sutter Home Winery
- V. Sattui Winery
- Calistoga Vistor Center
- Copperfield's Books
You can also order a print copy for
from Amazon's CreateSpace or Kindle
version for $9.99. Buy a pdf at www.napalife.com/insider.html.
Subscribe to NapaLife
2035 Oak St.
Napa, CA 94559
subscription ___ renewal ___
the Bottle Again updates seminal how-to book on wine
Paul Franson and
Harvey Posert have introduced Spinning
the Bottle Again: More strategies, tactics and case studies of
wine public relations, a heavily updated and revised version of
the seminal how-to book on wine public relations Spinning the Bottle.
Spinning the Bottle Again is a
collection of theory, practical information and case studies about
promoting wine, wineries and wine-related issues.
In all, almost 50
experts tell how tell how to conduct effective public relations
campaigns with examples of their programs what they accomplished.
The studies were
collected by PR experts Harvey Posert and Paul Franson, who both live
in Napa Valley. Each also contributed chapters to the mix.
Posert was the
long-time head of public relations for renowned Robert Mondavi Winery
as well as the Wine Institute. He also worked in general public
relations and spent time as a daily newspaper reporter.
Franson has extensive
experience in corporate and agency public relations as well as business
reporting and editing. He founded one of Silicon Valley’s largest
public relations firms. For the last 16 years, he has specializing in
writing about wine and related subjects.
The book is must
reading for anyone involved in managing a winery or marketing wine.
It's relevant to the student of wine and marketing, the seasoned exec
or owner, and a source of ideas for PR pros.
Both print and
electronic versions are available.
The print version is
$19.95 from Createspace, part of Amazon, at www.createspace.com/3794516.
The Kindle version is
$9.99 from Amazon.com.
A pdf version is $9.99
The original Spinning
the Bottle is available for $20.
Visit www.spinningthebottle.com for
more information or contact Paul Franson at firstname.lastname@example.org or